I was saddened by the fact that I couldn’t make my best friend’s 21st birthday as she studies in Liverpool and that is a 5 hour train journey. Determined to do something and make her birthday special for her, we decided to have a girl’s night with a couple of friends in London as she would be coming home for her birthday weekend anyway. Being the extra person that I am, I decorated my living room very pink and set up lots of party food for her arrival.
Of course, it wouldn’t be a birthday celebration without cake, so I made a few cupcakes and decorated them. I’m not the most amazing baker and it’s not my forte, but when it comes to my cupcakes, they are the best and that’s a fact.
The chocolate icing and sprinkles were from Tescos, their ‘ready to pipe’ chocolate flavoured frosting is vegan (and so delicious!) The pink frosting was made by myself and I will put the recipe for them under the cupcakes! I added edible glitter, rice paper roses and chocolate vermicelli. The cupcakes themselves came out perfect, my recipe is pretty much fool-proof and it doesn’t have any of those weird ingredients most vegan cupcakes have that are so hard to find. You should be able to make them from whatever you have in your kitchen as long as you have your standard baking ingredients (and vegan versions of things like milk and butter). You will not need weird egg replacements or anything like that, so with that being said, let’s crack on!
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 220g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 240ml plant milk of choice (I used almond milk)
- 80ml melted coconut oil (or any vegetable oil – coconut oil gives the best taste for cupcakes)
- a pinch of salt
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp apple cider vinegar / cider vinegar
- 400g icing sugar
- 120g vegan butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Food colouring if you wish
(You will need an electric food mixer bowl for this)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line your cupcake tray with 12 cupcakes cases or grease the cupcake tray individually.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- Add the milk, oil, vanilla extract and vinegar then whisk together until it’s all combined.
- Evenly spoon the mixer into the cupcake cases and place in the oven for 20- 25 minutes. Check if they are done using the toothpick method (poke a toothpick into the middle of the cupcakes and if it comes out clean, they are done).
- Carefully take them out and leave to full cool before decorating.
To make the frosting, put the butter in your mixer and mix on high until it is fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract, start off slowly and increase speed (use a cover if you have one as it may get messy)
- Add the food colouring here and keep mixing for 5 – 10 minutes. I used a few drops of red food colouring to make my frosting pink.
- Use to decorate your cupcakes! You can transfer the frosting to a piping bag or just use a spoon like I did.